background

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Snowy Day

I love spending the day in my little design room , especially when it is snowing. I have a large window in my studio that overlooks my wooded backyard and it is beautiful when it is snowing, or sunny, or even raining. Maybe everything just looks better when I'm in my favorite place.
Well today was a super creative day for me. I love the layouts I made. One is finished and one will be finished just as soon as I can get back to the store to pick up some rub ons that I need. Here is the one I finished.

This is a picture I took when I went to the hospital to meet my Godson, Patrick. My good friends Liz and Erik didn't know if they were having a boy or a girl so the kids were anxious to find out if they were going to have a brother or a sister. When RJ found out he had a brother he was so excited. A few minutes later Erik saw him off to the side in the room tearing up. When Erik asked him why RJ said he just couldn't believe he had a brother. That sweet story and this photo were my inspirations for this page, Becoming Brothers.

I love the photo because the light is falling right on RJ and it really showcases his great expression.

I did a lot with the titles of this page. The main title is "Becoming Brothers." I used clear stamps to make the title. First I used a foam brush to apply a cream colored paint to the letters and I made the first layer of my stamp. Then, without cleaning my stamps I inked the edges of the letters with a brown ink then I stamped right back over the letters. Then I took a few swipes over the letters with my sanding block and voila. I didn't want to journal on this page but I had a little more to say so I added a secondary title. I started with "so sweet" in the upper left hand corner (the eye naturally moves from the upper left to lower right so designing with that in mind creates a good flow in the design.) I used these metal letters that I got years ago from JoAnn's. I attatched them to the page with glue dots. The elipsis is made out of 3 very small brads.

I used my new DYMO to make the second part of the small title. I used a little paint applied with a foam brush to just barely catch the top of the raised letter in order to highlight the letter. By placing the words down the right side of the photo I am continuing the eye moving in its natural direction from upper left to lower right.


I am so thankful to Erik and Liz for letting me be there for such an amazing time for their family. I was overwhelmed by the sweet blessing of Baby Patrick. I hope I was able to get across in my layout how absolutely prescious that moment was.

2 comments:

  1. Great photo, you have a definite eye for photography! Too bad that we'll have to find someone else to take that photo of Aubrey or Cullen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet layout Megan! Lynn :)

    ReplyDelete