background

Monday, November 30, 2009

Decorator + Photographer

I don't know what I enjoyed more, decorating my home for Christmas or photographing the results!


I picked this Santa and Tree up about a month ago and it was exactly what I needed to go on this table. I wanted the Christmas Tree to be a little taller than Santa so I decided to look for a decorative box that I could set the tree on. I found this perfect little box at Target. It has gifts all around it so it looks like presents under the tree. (I have also used this trick to make 2 different lamps the same height by placing books under one lamp to make it taller.)



As much as I love the actual display in my home I AM BLOWN AWAY BY THE PHOTO OF IT! I love the narrow depth of field showing a blurred set of stockings hanging from the mantel and the way our real Christmas tree is creating back lighting for the little tree.



I am really happy the warm tones in this photograph of the Santa Train. I really nailed the white balance!



I love the blurred Santa in the upper right hand corner of this photo, again using shallow Depth of Field to tell the story.

It was a rainy, yucky day today so I didn't get photos of the outside of our house. As soon as the weather cooperates I'll post some photographs of the outdoor decor. I am thrilled with what I pulled together for my front porch and that is saying a lot because, as rob pointed out to me today, I am usually my toughest critic so if I'm thrilled it must be good!

1 comment:

  1. Megan, these are great! If you're into playing with DOF you should look into a lensbaby. They're kind of expensive for a one-trick tool, but it gives you a very unique (but controlled) sort of look.
    Your cousin, Laura

    ReplyDelete